LASSO

Uno

Driving in Memorial Day traffic
Across the San Joaquin Valley at mid-day
Just as dulled as all the other nullified drivers
Despite wonderful camping at the river
A scene unfolded as I approached the Richmond hills
That stunned me from my daze:

Two Great Danes
Loped onto the freeway and barked!
Scattering cars
Until all lanes stopped: the dogs stood there
Imperious, scornful
Of this herd, barking! What they were!


Dos

An old woman stepped
Whirling her cane overhead,
As if she were about to lasso a vehicle,
Into the middle of Park Presidio Blvd,
Sending cars around her at odd angles, their drivers
Terrified they might have to deal with her.

As I slowed to a stop
She put the rubber tip down on my VW hood
Came around and got in. “Take me home,” she said.
“Somebody stole my welfare check and my fingerprints.”

She rolled out the whole story
On the way downtown to Eddy Street
To her lousy hotel

Where I left her off
In the bright
Tenderloin sun.

2008

No comments:

Post a Comment