THIS DRIVER CARRIES NO CASH

waterwave
thrill that is calm
one creature am I in the green pool
pulsebeat of breastroke I am one
delighted man in the spool of rain unwinding
these mountains. This morning
light in white rapids makes me
delight in what is.

Crisp buckeye leaves tick delicately
as they are blown and gently
shaken in the afternoon breeze
a breeze that changes direction twice a day – long
inhalations and exhalations of the earth’s turning –
breathed along this darkening ravine, cooling us

as snakes ease out of their iron hot rocks
to lie within the river’s enlivening temperature –
all one with the play of life and death here –
man beneath water, man on steep rocks
man with marvelously shaped feet, anciently formed,
man that I am
still in this wandering find
this deepening pool

I pray it carries no gold
merely book-keeping data.
This Driver Carries No Cash

No comments:

Post a Comment